Classy Walnut Monitor Risers

In this video, I show you how to make some great looking walnut monitor risers that feature continuous grain up one leg, across the top, and down the other leg, as well as hard maple splines that strengthen the miter joints between leg and top.

Monitor risers are a really simple project that anybody can make to add a little class and a personal touch to an otherwise drab workspace. If you make some of your own, please share them in the comments below, or on social media.

How to Make Harry Potter’s Nimbus 2000

In this video, I tackle my very first prop replica project, recreating Harry Potter’s Nimbus 2000 (before it got whomped by a willow) from Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone. As a source, I used pictures of the replica that a company called CineReplica used to distribute.

My broom is made from red oak (it’s about a third of the cost of mahogany), and is scaled to 5′ (152cm), based on some stills from the first Harry Potter film. My build omits the foot pegs that are shown in the films, since they aren’t mentioned in the books, and I think that the broom looks better without them.

How to Make a Chisel Cabinet

I made this chisel cabinet out of some old barn board that I had kicking around the shop. It hangs on my wall, and gives me a space to store my mortising chisels, marking knife, and engineer’s square. Each of the tools is affixed within the box with a neodymium magnet that keeps it from falling out or knocking against the other tools. The cabinet has two doors that are held closed with a hard drive magnet, and I engraved the doors using my desktop CNC machine.

Derek’s End Tables

My buddy Derek needed some new end tables for his man cave. We sourced some African hardwood called Black Limba and built two beautiful tables to fit the spot that he had in mind. The wood is absolutely gorgeous, and really pops with a couple of coats of polyurethane on it.

How to Make Plywood Tool Stands

These basic tool stands are really easy to build, and make it easy to move heavy, formerly stationary tools around my workshop. I’ve got a small space, so the fact that they add to my organization options is also really helpful. They’re made out of 2x4s, 1/2″ plywood, 3/4″ plywood, and some cheap casters. The entire project cost around $100 for both. These are a great project for somebody just starting to build out their workshop.

Easy to Build Collapsible Work Benches

There’s a local startup here in Kitchener called Sienci Labs that makes a microwave-sized desktop CNC router called the Mill One. I saw it at a maker faire, and got in touch with them, asking if they were willing to sponsor my channel. Instead of a sponsorship deal, they proposed that I make them some work benches for their new office space in return for a CNC router kit that I can assemble.

In this video, I make a pair of standing height 3′ x 4′ work benches from 2x4s and 3/4″ plywood. The benches collapse and can be flat packed, or transported in a small pickup truck or large sedan. All of pieces go together with 3/8″ carriage bolts, so the benches can be taken apart or assembled with a single tool.

How to Make Lawn Ornament Houses

My buddy Andrew has some Christmas-themed lawn ornaments that shine lasers onto his house, and a neighbourhood kid keeps knocking them over. He asked me to help him build some wooden shelters to protect the lasers from vandalism, and we decided to make them look sort of like gingerbread houses.

The houses are simple pine boxes with fat finger joints on the corners, and slat roofing. We painted them flat brown and accented the edges with white paint.

I had intended to get this video out before Christmas, but Christmas happened, so it’s out now. But hey, at least it’s still December.

Making an Upcycled Barnboard Desk

I recently got a new job that requires me to work from home. I decided to build a custom ergonomic computer desk for my office that’s exactly the right size and shape for me to comfortably work at.

There’s an expensive antique store in town that had a fancy farmhouse style table on display that I really liked, so I decided to try to emulate it. I bought some old barn board to use as the top, glued it together, epoxied the gaps, and finished it with danish oil. The legs and frame are made from old 2x4s and 2x6s attached with mortise and tenon joinery, and finished with chalk paint.